New Years is a great time to get back on track and for me that means going back to more home cooked meals and less takeout. If you’ve got a toddler in the house you know how chaotic dinnertime can get – which is why we’re going to share this simple + easy dinner idea! These can be made with sweet potatoes or russet potatoes (or a few of both to please the entire family)
This recipe makes 4 servings
Here’s what you need…
- 4 Sweet potatoes and/or russet potatoes
- 4 thin sliced chicken breast cutlets (about 3/4lb)
- 1/2 cup golden BBQ sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce)
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar
- 8 TBS chicken broth
- 2 TBS unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you do…
- Wash and pat dry your potatoes
- Pierce potatoes and place in a preheated 375 degree oven
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until tender to the touch
- Remove potatoes from the oven and set aside to cool
- While the potatoes are cooling, preheat a skillet over medium high and coat the pan with 1 turn of olive oil
- Dice chicken into small pieces, and cook over medium heat until fully cooked. The center should no longer be pink, and at least 165 degrees.
- Once cooked through, add salt, pepper and BBQ sauce to the pan.
- Toss to coat and cook an additional 3-5 minutes until chicken well coated and beginning to crisp.
- Remove chicken from heat and set aside.
- When potatoes are cooled, remove 1/4 of the skin and scoop potato into a separate bowl, leaving 1/4 inch around the inside of the potato to keep it sturdy for refilling.
- To the potatoes, add the chicken broth, melted butter, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well
- Spoon mixture back into the potatoes, top with chicken and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Broil potatoes in the oven until the cheese is bubbling and beginning to brown.
- Serve with a side of fresh steamed veggies or salad and pair with your favorite wine!
There you have it! This recipe is so versatile and can be adjusted to suit your dietary/flavor preferences.
Many of you have been patiently waiting, and I’m happy to say our Surviving Motherhood wine glasses will be restocked later this week! You can click here to join our VIP group on Facebook and you’ll be the first to be notified!