Guest blog by MLMH team member Katrina S., and MLMH community members Carrie W. & Colleen S.
I saw a meme the other day and it said something to the effect of: “Being an adult is trying to decide what is for dinner every day, until you die.” I felt this is in my bones. It doesn’t matter if you work from home, out of the home, or are with your little ones all day, sometimes the biggest hurdle of the day is trying to determine what you’re going to feed your family. We reached out to our amazing mom tribe at MLMH and asked for some of their favorite recipes.
Let’s start with dessert, because, well, it’s my favorite
Ingredients for pie filling:
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
Ingredients for pie crust:
- 2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 8 ounces) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar (or sugah as we say here in Massachusetts)
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
Time to make the pie crust:
- Mix flour, sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor. Give a good spin a couples to ensure everything is mixed.
- Add butter, slowly. Add about half of the butter, and pulse 6-8 times in food processor. Then add the rest of the butter until the largest pieces of butter are the size of peas
- Add the ice water. Sprinkle in the ice water beginning with 1/4 cup. Then continue to add 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough barely begins to hold together.
- Divide the dough into two even mounds. Use your hands and kneed each one into a disk. Do NOT over knead.
- Sprinkle each disk with flour, wrap each one in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for an hour (dough can be left for up to 2 days)
- Remove dough from refrigerator and let sit for a few minutes.
- Roll out with a rolling pin on a lightly floured surface to a 12 inch circle and to about an 1/8 thickness
- As you roll the dough, check if the dough is sticking to the surface – if it is add a few magical sprinkles of flour
- Carefully place into a 9-inch pie plate
- Gently press the dough so that it lines the bottom sides of the plate
- Use a pair of kitchen scissors to trim the dough with 1/2 inch of the end of the pie dish
Let’s fill this pie with delicious blueberry goodness:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over blueberries
- Pour berry mixture into the crust, and dot with butter
- Bake pie on lower shelf of oven for about 50 minutes, or until crust is golden brown
Now for dinner: crock-pot chicken
- 4-5 boneless chicken breast. We love the individually wrapped organic chicken from Stop & Shop
- Two (2) 28 oz bottles Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce. Depending on your mood, you can change it up with original flavor, honey, buffalo or sweet chili
- Finger rolls (or we also like mini buns by Pepperidge Farms
- One (1) package of shredded cheese. Our go-to is cheddar jack
- Coat the bottom of the crock-pot with (1) one bottle of sauce
- Add chicken to pot
- Cover chicken with 2nd bottle of sauce
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours OR on low for 7-8 hours
- Shred chicken when there is approximately 20 mins left of cook time
- Use tongs to place chicken on buns & add cheese
- You can also drizzle ranch (depending on the sauce you used) on top of your sandwich